2005年8月14日 星期日

Sketches, Scrawls, Scribbles and Such

2003.6, Unit B (Gallery), Chicago
ARTIST STATEMENT

Random drawings

They’re called random because most of the time, I didn’t know what to draw until the first stroke was laid, spontaneously out of instinct. Those daily information fragments usually hiding at small, dark corners of my mind, show up in the drawings. Could be something from a stupid novel I read, something on TV, strange living creature with photo on newspaper…. All mixed up and re-formed in my mind, then come out without my intention. So the drawings can be funny, silly, sarcastic or even violent. They are the stories of subconscious.

The Note Series

Pseudo-calligraphy with some color strokes together made the “Note” series. Although they are not really notes, I was trying to express the feeling of writing notes or short letters, even poems to the loved ones. It is the “atmosphere” that’s important. Sometimes the idea behind images says more than words.
The whole series is a card set – 52 pieces in 4 colors, 13 for each color. I’ve used the idea of cards for several times because from my point of view, life is like a poker game.

沒有留言:

張貼留言